Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Tutorial on how to use your ink pads as markers/water color paints

Hi all, hope your day is going well, I am exhausted today, stayed up too late last night and now am paying the price! Nevertheless, having a blog means keeping things current, so off we go!

While I have a pretty large supply of markers, I always seem to somehow NOT have the color I need, which is frustrating. The other day I came up with a pretty good solution to extending your color choices when you want to fill in an image (actually I have seen people do something like this, but have not found an entire tutorial on the method). So, here we go, my first "tutorial," this time in pictures, but eventually I will get this on video : )

How to use your ink pads as markers/water color paints

Supplies you will need:

* Water Brush
* Ink Pads (dye based) and solvent (Staz On)
* Transparency (clean) or other clear plastic
sheeting
* Water color paper, preferably 120 - 140 cold press
* Rubber stamp
* Paper towels (dry)






Step 1

Stamp your image with Staz On. Make sure to let the Staz On dry
for a few minutes.

HINT: Stamp the image a few times on the paper without reinking the stamp. Save the best image and use the other ones for practice.



Step 2

Pull out the ink pads you want to use, I find that I have far more "ink spot" stamps then regular sized pads, and as you know with the Stampin Up large pads you can squeeze the ink into the cover and pick up the color with a brush, you can't do the same thing with the stamp spots, thus this method.




Stamp your pad(s) onto the clear plastic sheet/transparency, make sure to leave space between the various colors. The picture on the left shows you what your transparency should look like.





Step 3
Using your water brush, touch the brush to the ink on the plastic, move it around a bit to load up your brush. If you do not have much water flowing you will pick up more ink (darker color), if you have loaded the brush with water you will have a lighter shade of the color. You can also blend colors on the transparency, use your brush to pick up the lighter color first, apply a spot of it to your transparency, then repeat, adding the darker color.


Step 4

Start painting your image (I use dry paper, but you can also experiment by misting the paper with some water before you start):


Make sure you clean your brush between picking up the colors, use the paper towel and wipe the brush until you no longer see any color.



I like to go lighter at first then go back and darken/shade the image. You can blend colors as well, either on the plastic or on the paper. HINT: When water coloring let the first color dry before you apply another color, this is called glazing. If you add a color to an existing wet color you may end up with a more muddied color.


HINT 2: You can also lighten up colors and blend by using your brush without any color, just the water. Also, you can soften any hard edges to your colors by going over the paint with your water brush. In the picture above I have added blue to the frame but have not yet pulled the color with the water brush, which I did later (you can see this in the finished card)

Step 5

Admire your work! Here is my finished card:


You can save your plastic sheet with the dried paint, all you have to do is touch the ink with your water brush and you are ready to paint another image!

I have found this method works really well, and an additional hint: If you want to use a dye based ink to stamp your image, put embossing fluid on the stamp first, then your dye based ink, then stamp your image, emboss with clear powder, and then you can watercolor over the image without any bleeding!


Hope you like this quick tutorial, I am using this method more and more as I have three sets of the color spots and wanted to be able to use them other then just stamping images. These days it is good to find ways to extend your supplies.

Well, this took a WHOLE lot longer then I figured it would, so now am off to try to make a few more cards. Enjoy the rest of your day, and may tomorrow reward you with joy and happiness.

8 comments:

Dawn said...

This is great info Jacquie - thanks for sharing. Your two cats are so adorable, I also have two furry friends - Peaches and Pepsi

Heather said...

hey sis, this is great advice! I am going to try this tomorrow as i should really be getting to bed right now! :) Can't wait to use my new stamp pads this way

Anne Marie Peterson said...

Great tutorial, Jacquie! Thank you for sharing your talents.
Sis, Anne Marie

Anonymous said...

This is a great tutorial, i need all the help i can get with watercoloring, love the look, but can't quite make it look like i want it to. Yours is beautiful

smallcity

dawn said...

thanks for this. I really need to do this watercoloring technique more.

dawn said...

thanks for this. I forgot about using this technique.

Theresa Momber said...

Terrific tutorial. TFS!

Gweniebee said...

Just watched your "tutorial video", and found it quite informative and easy to follow. Thanks so much for adding the written tutorial also. I can follow it at my own pace, since I will be working a lot slower than you did on the the video. Hope the nail proble improves soon.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin